8 Reasons to Move to Malta As An Expat

by David Tompkins

When most people look to travel or even move to Europe, Malta is not usually at the top of their lists. It is tempting because of incredible landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower drawing people to France, the exquisite Italian cuisine, or the public education standards in Germany.

Why You Should Move to Malta

But this small island in the Mediterranean Sea has so much to offer expats, with food, languages, and a rich history that creates a blend of different European cultures. Here are the top 8 reasons you should consider moving to Malta as an expatriate.

1. Unique and Flavorsome Maltese Food

The food in Malta is an incredible blend of European and North African cuisine. Traditional food in Malta uses fresh ingredients and lots of seasonings. Some typical dishes to look out for include tympana, which is a pastry shell with macaroni and meat inside. If you have a sweet tooth, you must try a Sicilian-inspired cannoli with ricotta cheese and candied peel.

2. Multilingualism in Malta

Another reason to move to Malta is to be enriched by the Maltese language, where there are approximately 520,000 people who speak it. The people of Malta speak many languages aside from Maltese, such as English and Italian.

The language itself is of fascination to visitors, for many words derive from English, Italian, and French. As an expat, it is easy to communicate and get around the country just by speaking English.

3. Incredible Work-Life Balance

If you are looking to move to another country, chances are you are factoring in what your quality of life could be in this new place. The cultural norm throughout Malta is more of a laid-back lifestyle with a good work-life balance. They often say that people in Malta work to live, not live to work.

Because the country is so small, most people do not spend time commuting to work, and they tend to work fewer hours in the week than the global average. Malta has a sprawling international network, giving digital nomads a chance to grow their businesses or connect on a more global scale.

4. The Weather is Unbeatable

Most people cannot complain about the weather in Malta. The warm, Mediterranean climate is a great reason to move to Malta. There are about 12 hours of sunshine every day during the summers, and the winters are very mild.

Malta usually gets less than 90 days of rainfall per year, and there are many beautiful natural sights and beaches to enjoy as well. When moving to Malta, you can spend endless days relaxing by the picturesque blue waters and ferry-hopping to the different islands.

5. Central Location to the Rest of Europe

From Malta, the rest of Europe is easily accessible, and it is a short flight away to many major European cities. It is a part of the Schengen Zone, which is a group of European countries with open borders and no immigration checks when traveling within.

Malta is also one of the smallest countries in Europe, so you can travel around the country in record time!

Here are the flight times to a few major European cities:
● London = 3 hours and 10 minutes
Paris = 2 hours and 40 minutes
● Istanbul = 2 hours and 20 minutes
● Barcelona = 2 hours and 10 minutes
● Rome = 1 hour and 25 minutes

6. A Rich History and Colorful Culture

Malta’s capital city, Valletta, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This ancient, walled city has an incredible political, military, and religious foundation that dates back more than 7000 years. By wandering through the endless alleys or witnessing jaw-dropping Baroque architecture, there will be something for everyone to explore and learn about.

7. Low-cost of Living

For global nomads working to make their mark around the world, having a low cost of living is extremely important. Compared to its European counterparts, Malta boasts affordable rent, transportation, entertainment, and of course, food. It is easier and cheap to have a high-quality life in Malta.

8. Excellent Healthcare

If you come from a country with costly healthcare, you will be in for a treat to see the perks of having excellent healthcare in Malta. Hospitals in Malta are well equipped and easily accessible. About 65% of healthcare expenditures are covered through taxes, and the other 35% is covered out of pocket or with private international health insurance.

Malta has both public and private forms of healthcare, and in fact, most public services are free. The World Health Organization actually ranks Malta 5th among over 100 other countries in terms of the quality of their healthcare.

If you are looking for a dreamy getaway destination with crystal-clear beaches, historical landmarks, and of course, real-life Game of Thrones locations, then relocating to Malta should be on the top of your list!

Related Posts

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy