International Calling Codes for Expatriates
How Do You Call Internationally When Living Abroad?
If you are living abroad or about to, it can be quite confusing when trying to find different global calling codes. Our site will shortly have information for people traveling or living abroad on the various calling codes that are available and how to communicate with fellow expats and families back home.
How to Make International Calls?
Making an international phone call can be a complicated process if you are not sure on the proper protocol of the country in which you are now living. In order to properly make a phone call, you need a few pieces of information:
- First thing is to make sure that your phone has international calling capabilities. Whether you are on a contract plan or pay as you go, not all plans will come with this feature. We advise that you look into the specifics on your plan and the costs associated with making international phone calls. It is important to note the difference between phoning abilities and data roaming on your phone, and the costs associated with both features.
- Learn what the country code is for your respective country. It is possible that multiple countries have the same country code (for example Canada, the United States and much of the Caribbean use +1).
- Before dialing, you will need to add a “+” symbol before the country code in order to indicate a long-distance phone call will take place. If you are using a mobile phone, you will need to hold down the “0” key to obtain the “+” symbol.
- If you do not have a phone plan that allows for international calling, you are able to purchase international calling cards that will allow you to place calls up until the amount paid.
- Some countries also have city/area codes that you will need to dial after the country code. Once the country code and city code have been dialed, you will be able to dial the rest of the phone number to make your international call.
Overall, making an international phone call may seem intimidating if you are unaware of how the process works, but it can be a very easy process. If you are still unsure of how to proceed, there are sites such as countrycode.org that allow you to find all the information you will need to make your phone call. Maintaining relationships back home is a crucial component of having a successful time abroad, and we hope that this will help you stay connected with family and friends back home.
List of Global Calling Codes by Country
Below you see a list of International Country Dialing codes.
Pretty much all countries have their own country calling code, it is a single- or up to 3 digit number which you have to dial to make a call to that country.
Information on Making an International Call:
First you dial the prefix-number (for most countries 00) + then the calling code number for the country + the area code (the city or region (for landlines only)) + the number of the person or company that you are calling.
1 – Canada, the USA and many Caribbean countries use the “1” calling Code